Why are you doing this rather than using a service such as beaconpush.com?

As for wanting limits thoroughly documented, I could not agree more.
This is some thing that should be done, and I frankly can't understand
why it isn't.  I would like to see something like:
   http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=5677

Along the same lines, it is very annoying to hit temporary
(undocumented!) quotas, such as datastore operations per minute, then
have no record of exactly what quota was hit.  I'd love to see a daily
log of *exactly* every quota an app hits with enough detail for me to
tell Google what I'm hitting:
    http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=6296

Robert