Although I'm overall happy with GAE, and I know that the maintenance
periods "only" affect M/S. And I don't mind the occasional one either. But
I find it increasingly frustrating that they always have to be scheduled in
the middle of the week, and during a time that most of our US clients would
still call core working hours.

I am now pasting the third downtime notice in a month onto our
application's dashboard. Yeah I know that one maintenance period didn't
actually happen, but it was cancelled too late, all our clients had already
gotten our downtime warning, which is almost as bad.

I am wondering why these maintenance periods cannot be done on the weekend,
or at least later during the day? How about 6pm to 8pm PST for instance?
That's still late at night in Europe, it's just about as annoying for APAC,
but at least it's a lot better for US users. And it's not *that* late so
that East Coast Googlers have to get up in the dead of the night either.

Or am mistaken and the typical usage pattern is "after hours", because
nobody except for us dared to use GAE for an enterprise application? :)