The scheduler is most likely made with larger applications in mind
(hundreds of instances). I saw plenty of isses when I tried to optimise for
few instances. I had very similar issues as you had, when I was on a 2/2
setting for instance. Basically I wanted to have 2 instances all the time,
and I tried 2/2, 2/3, 3/3, 1/3, and 1/2.

But what works best (by far!) for me at the moment is the setting
"automatic/3". I decided to use the F4 instance as well. It now turns out I
always have 2 or 3 instances running, but only get charged for one :) And
very few spin-up and spin-down happening. And consistently fast responses
too.

Every app is different, so do experiment a bit.