Just got this email from Amazon (I signed up for AWS).

We are excited to announce the immediate availability of Amazon
> CloudSearch, a fully-managed search service in the cloud that allows
> customers to easily integrate fast and highly scalable search functionality
> into their applications.
> Amazon CloudSearch adds search capabilities for your website or
> application without the administrative burdens of operating and scaling a
> search platform. Amazon CloudSearch seamlessly scales as the amount of
> searchable data increases or as the query rate changes, and developers can
> change search parameters, fine tune search relevance and apply new settings
> at any time without having to upload the data again.
> Built for high throughput and low latency, Amazon CloudSearch supports a
> rich set of features including free text search, faceted search,
> customizable relevance ranking, configurable search fields, text processing
> options, and near real-time indexing. Amazon CloudSearch offers low,
> pay-as-you-go pricing with no up-front expenses or long-term commitments.
> With Amazon CloudSearch, you get:
> Rich Search Features
> Automatic Scaling for Data & Traffic
> Low Latency, High Throughput
> Easy Administration
> Low Costs

http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2012/04/amazon-cloudsearch-start-searching-in-one-hour.html/

I think it's unfortunate that AWS (which started from IAAS and is now
branching into PAAS) has released rich search functionality before GAE
(which has always been PAAS only). AWS Dynamodb as of now does not compete
favourably against the datastore, but ... it's software. And the value
proposition (feature-set wise) of AWS PAAS is getting better quickly, while
still affording full IAAS functionality with regular price reductions to go
with it. And the AWS team has always been a big team, and constantly hiring
(we always used to hear GAE team talk of its small size).

I know I'm ranting. Folks here know I've invested a lot into GAE and only
want its success, if nothing else so my investment didn't go in the drain.
Take this for what it is.