What if Gregory put (e.g.) Cloudflare in front of the app and used it to
fetch "app" requests and serve them as "www" (I assume that's possible).
 This way, people continue to see www and can add www links.  Can try it as
a short-term solution while you tinker with the setup and/or wait for the
edge cache to sort itself out.

It's quite possible that Google's edge cache caches for a maximum period
shorter than a year due to demand/bandwidth priorities, so maybe this'll be
solved in a week or month.