Hi,

We have a mobile application using GAE as application backend. The
mobile client communicates with GAE via REST API. The user data is
stored on GAE datastore. So far, things are smooth with GAE. In
preparation of launch, we tried a mini concurrent load test 100 qps to
retrieve data from datastore for 100 users in a second. The results
are pretty bad. Each API request can take from 1-4 secs based on user
data.

We had a paid billing application. When 100 concurrent requests were
issues, we saw >50% failure rate with 503 service errors. We bumped
reserve instances to 10 and we still saw high failure rates. We bumped
to 30 front end instances and they we had a successful test run. The
app is 'threadsafe'. Why would we need 30 instances to support 100
concurrent qps?? We also tried to change pending latency but not much
affect on error rate. The servlet request is not memory or CPU
intensive.. It reads daa from datastore and returns a json
representation of data..

We were expecting to support 100qps with 3-5 instances. Are we missing
something? Our goal is to support 1000 qps with reasonable number of
front instances. But 30 instances for 100 concurrent qps seems
insanely  expensive compared to EC2 or any other provider. The
distribution of load also is not anywhere close to even distribution
on the available instances. Does anyone has similar experiences?
Should we move to EC2?

The doc link https://developers.google.com/appengine/kb/general#activerequests
has some related information. If the requests take > 1s, is GAE not a
good candidate for scaling up? Is there a published limit on how many
concurrent requests are supported? We will submit the form and see if
we get the restrictions(if any) removed.

This thread talks about 10 threads limit for java instances. Can
anyone from appengine team confirm this?
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/6efce99e84a61646/6401778addb115d2?show_docid=6401778addb115d2

Thanks
Neeli