And how are you?

We are using backends in a dynamic capacity now, where the backends cycle
down to zero if we have no further requests to process in our task queues
and pipelines.

However, when we start up our 10 instance-dynamic backend, we have to wait
(and pay for) all 10 instances to start up and then these 10 instances will
typically go back down to 1 or 2 instances since the load is typically not
large enough to need all 10 instances to start, but can certainly build to
that load (which is why we go with 10 as the upper limit), and hour or two
later.

Sorry for asking these two questions that we can answer ourselves by doing
our own experiments, but the team is swamped so just wanted to ask around
first.

   1. Or is there a way to start dynamic backends with just 1 instance,
   then scale up to 10 as needed?
   2. If we do always-on the backend, then will it scale down to just one
   instance during non-peak times and then scale up to 10 if needed?  I'm fine
   with paying for just one instance to be always-on if it scales up and down
   dynamically from there.

Rock on,
  -Hardwick

--