Perhaps similar to what I'm seeing.  Although I was able to use the
appstats tool to determine that the deadlines were being missed
specifically because of memcache API calls.  Perhaps you can determine from
appstats if its the same for you?

If so, please star this issue that I logged:

code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=7554