We are working hard on improving the built-in backup experience, but in the
meantime:

The datastore admin is open source so you can make the backup MR do what
every you want:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/source/browse/trunk/python/google/appengine/ext/datastore_admin/backup_handler.py

You can already use cron.yaml to schedule backups:
https://developers.google.com/appengine/articles/scheduled_backups