Jon wrote:

> The primary incentive is the long-term incentive, I don't see how that
> would be different between today and in N years. I don't see when it
> would ever be sensible to do what you are describing.

A good while ago, I worked for HP. We priced a product at $34.95. It was
profitable against an expected installed base of let's say 1 million units.
That was many, many years ago. Since then a couple of things changed. Our
initial installed base estimates were off by a factor of probably 10.
Instead of 1 million, the base was 10 million. Revenues and profits were
hugely related (in a positive correlation) to size of the installed base,
meanwhile costs per unit moved in the opposite direction as installed base
grew. Hence, if HP did nothing, it would have reaped gigantic windfall
profits (windfall vs. initial investment analysis). These numbers have
Google-sizes zeros after them. So let's do the customer a favor HP and
lower the price, or a least keep it the same.  Second-order effects such as
consumer goodwill and brand equity would be great. Same product now sells
for $55 at Costco. When I was working to get the the $34.95 product out, I
believed (and I think this was true) that my organization was one of the
best, most capable consumer products companies EVER. Now I feel a sense of
shame that it evolved to what it is today. (I left quite some time ago, but
still regret what it has become.) So Jon, stay focused please, but by all
means be realistic.