Hi Jeff, sounds awful.

Even 20s on a good day is a lot IMO. We're using Wicket, which is on the
heavy side, and still the startup typically only takes 10 to 15s, and
that's including rendering an initial page too (so it basically involves
firing up all subsystems too, loading all classes, contacting the database
several times, filling some caches, etc).

I'm guessing you're experiencing some "new release testing" by the Google
Team, so that might account for a certain slowdown. We've seen our average
latency increase from 250ms to 380ms over night, 2 days ago.  Maybe your
slowdown is related to a similar service change.

But it sounds like your application startup is too slow to begin with. Do
you have logging in there which can pinpoint what parts take how much time?
Would be interested to learn about that.

Cheers,
Per