I think, though, that it's become obvious that the market is currently in
the other camp.  Of course there are many startups on GAE, but I think
there are many more on AWS. Issues like the half-decade wait for SSL,
non-SQL storage, opaque magic explosions under the hood don't make
companies that want to reduce risks, comfortable.  Often, those companies
want to know they can move their toys elsewhere, which AWS generally allows.

Personally I'm willing to work around these limitations because I really
don't want to run my own machines and manage OS-level security with client
data.  But I can see why Google wants some of the AWS treasure.

Hopefully it'll mean we get more insight into the platform, and that GAE
ends up better for it.  Who knows, maybe we'll be able to mix-and-match
levels of the stack depending on requirements.

My worry would be that Google dumps GAE because of "more wood behind fewer
arrows".