Hi

Here is one approach you could use.

In each entity store a list of paths of each parent.  ie in second scenario

H has a list property called parent_paths it would have the following
values ['/a/g','/a'] and its children would have ['/a','/a/g','/a/g/h'] etc

Then given any entity you can fetch all levels of descendants. So in your
example  you just need to query for any entity
that has '/a/g/h'  in its parent_paths.  This doesn't allow you to restrict
depth though.

Cheers

Tim