We are migrating our app to an HRD version and the migration tool process hangs
on 2nd step "Copy" at 99% for 10+ hours.

We've restarted migration but it did not help - still hangs at 99% and the
"approximately remaining" time is steadily and slowly growing.

I've been googling around and as I understand it can be because of indexes
issue (5K index entry limit per entity) or some other reason that prevent an
entity to be stored to the new HRD database. Actually removing some indexes
helped us to move from 98.50% to 99% and  not  any further.

But we can not find any error/status logs that would point us on what exactly
entity kind/id causing the issue.

On the Migration Tool screen it says:
=====
If there is a problem, you can pause the migration. While paused, all migration
mapreduces will be paused and but no other actions will be taken until an
administrator either resumes the migration or reverts the process. To pause the
migration, please click the button below.
=====

But how do we know if there is a problem and what exactly the problem is? It
would be cool to have a "last or list if error messages & entity keys for the
migration process.

Any ideas how to identify and solve the issue? We have major release pending
due to limitations of M/S database and would greatly appreciate any help.

I've raised a production issue for this as well
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=7787

but may be someone from community can help us to resolve it before Google
Engineers notice the ticket.

Alexander Trakhimenok

Lead developer on http://www.myclasses.org/ project powered by GAE (AppEngine +
Python + Django).