From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Marcel Manz
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:41 AM
To: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
Subject: [google-appengine] App Engine getting slower and slower

The more and more applications are hosted on App Engine seems to have a
negative impact on performance.

A version of one of my apps is handling the same type of requests over and
over and is more or less loaded with a steady request rate from a remote
system. This version does nothing more than to take a request and send it
off to the task queue.

As it can be seen from the attached chart, the milliseconds per request seem
to be increasing over time. I have tried to compensate this by upgrading F1
instances to F4, but that doesn't show any improvement as its load is API
bound. The spike in the middle of the chart is a result of this incident:
http://code.google.com/status/appengine/detail/taskqueue/2012/07/03#ae-trust
-detail-taskqueue-add-many-latency

Not only do the APIs seem to become slower (in my case taskqueue.BulkAdd),
but also does the time a request is waiting for an instance to serve
increase lately.

For example taskqueue:

There have been times where it was possible to enqueue tasks in approx 10
milliseconds:

January 1st 2011:
http://code.google.com/status/appengine/detail/taskqueue/2011/01/01#ae-trust
-detail-taskqueue-add-many-latency

January 1st 2012:
http://code.google.com/status/appengine/detail/taskqueue/2012/01/01#ae-trust
-detail-taskqueue-add-many-latency

Nowadays one can be lucky if this succeeds below 100 milliseconds:

July 9th 2012:
http://code.google.com/status/appengine/detail/taskqueue/2012/07/09#ae-trust
-detail-taskqueue-add-many-latency

Further I see in the dashboard logs very frequent requests with an overall
time of several hundred milliseconds, many with over one second, as well as
requests that are even taking several seconds. These are non-loading /
non-warmup requests and according appstats they promptly execute. I must
assume the difference between the ms value in the logs and reported by
appstats is the time the request was waiting to be served.

If so, I don't understand why this is taking so long to be served. My
pending latency settings are Automatic / Automatic and I always keep 1 or 2
idle instances, which are sufficient for the load the app is handling.

In one of the Google IO 2012 talks gets mentioned that 1 millisecond +/-
delay results in millions of dollars +/- for Google Search/Adwords. It's
good that you know that, but please speed up the App Engine platform so we
can profit from the same.

Thanks
Marcel