I can see how this feature would be useful -- especially for testing.

I have an app I haven't released yet that once a minute sucks in new data
and spawns many (maybe up to 200/minute max) requests using the task queue
to process that data. When using frontends I was often spinning up 2-3+
instances automatically even when throttling back task queue rates. I can
run all of the requests on the same size backend (B1) just fine, the only
downside is that I'm paying $1.20 a day now to have a test app running
24/7...

I am using backends (one B1 backend specifically) for the sole purpose of
being able to control how many instances are running (only one). My
requests should work great with multi-threading (using python 2.7 w/ HR)
and are neither long running or latency critical but I'm using a backend
because it's cheaper than letting frontends spin up and run idle.

-Robert