I think that is from an old version of the documentation when the Task
Queue was an experimental feature. The current version of documentation
does not match (
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/java/taskqueue/overview-push).
It says:

When implementing the code for tasks (as worker URLs within your app), it
> is important to consider whether the task is
> idempotent<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/idempotent>.
> App Engine's Task Queue API is designed to only invoke a given task once;
> however, it is possible in exceptional circumstances that a task may
> execute multiple times (such as in the unlikely case of major system
> failure). Thus, your code must ensure that there are no harmful
> side-effects of repeated execution

I do not think you have to worry about tasks being lost or dropped (if used
correctly).