Hello,

I realize there's been a lot of discussion on startup times exceeded on
this forum recently, but wanted needed to post this experience we had this
morning to keep the attention on this important issue.

We uploaded a point release of our app to a "not-live" version this morning
and, of course, we were going to click around on that instance to make sure
it's all kosher before making that version "live."   The warm-up requests
for the "not-live" version were exceeding the deadline limit of 60s...
__and__we__are__on__F4s__!_!.

However, the LIVE version of the app crashed too, 500 server errors,
instance counts went to zero, all sorts of whacky stuff was seen in the
control panel.  All that happened to our LIVE version without when all we
did was upload another "non-live" version and hit it with a single
request...did I mention we were on F4s?  ;-)  Does the failure of any
instance to exceed the 60s limit take down all instances to include live
one?

We did a few things as quickly as possible since our live application was
down, so clearly we didn't have the time to take the scientific approach of
only changing one thing at a time and wait to see if it that did it.

We...
1. Switched from F4s to F2 (i figured if this would least get us on some
new servers/instances)
2. Increased max idle instances from 1 to 2 (with F4s running, I'm fine
with having just 1 idle instance and not at all happy about paying for 2
idle instances, so maybe we'll just increase this prior to deployments and
then back down again after the deployment succeeds until we know more)
3. Made the recently uploaded version live (hey, why not, the production
app was down for 10 minutes, so how much more harm could we do?)

We use GWT and Guice, we jar everything (as I have been paying attention to
this startup time discussions for quite some time now.  We are also
considering switching our Guice libraries to a non-AOP version as we saw
suggested in another blog since we just need the injection.

Any insight, and I'm all ears!  app_id=s~myflashpanel

Regards,
  -Hardwick

--

 *We make Google Apps even better.*

*David Hardwick*
*CTO*
david.hardw...@bettercloud.com

*Signature by Flashpanel <http://flashpanel.com/>*
 *See us in Mashable: Growing Up Google: How Cloud Computing Is Changing a
Generation <http://mashable.com/2012/04/30/generation-growing-up-google/>*