Suppose, In my website, I ask users to input some string. A user can input
string multiple times. Whenever any user inputs a string, I log it in the
database along with the time. Many strings can be same, even though
inputted by different users. In the home page, I need to give the interface
such that any user can query for top n (say 50) strings in any time period
(say 10 Jan 2012 to 30 Jan 2012). If it was SQL, I could have written query
like:

select string, count(*)
from userStrings where day >= d1 and day <= d2
group by string
order by count(*) desc
limit n

How do I solve it in GAE environment? For each such user query, I can't
process the record at query time - there can be millions of records.

I am using JDO. My obvious goal is to minimize the app engine cost : CPU +
data.

Thanks,