It's hard to tell if CloudFlare is of any help, I'm still getting a lot of
hits, only now they all (new ones) come from CloudFlare IPs so I can't
filter on my own.

Now I turned on most aggressive security setting "I'm under attack!". I
think this will annoys the hell out of normal users, but if this is the
only thing that helps, I will have to use this until the attack stops.