Is it acceptable to have it hosted on both addresses? If not you could
always check the url attribute on the request and redirect requests to the
non appspot.com name.

I run www.dealscorcher.com (dealscorcher.appspot.com) and www.uripis.com (
uripaddress.appspot.com) which are set up using the instructions for a
custom domain here:  https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/domain

Hope this helps,
Robert