I don't have time to build a solution write now, because we are too close to
our own product launch, but in thinking about this I wondered about Channel
API between servers..

This is a solution I have been thinking about and if someone knows why it
won't work that might save me some headache or might reduce theirs if it
works.

Could you not have frontends use the channel API to send the data to the
backend.  The data would be streamed to the backend and the buffer in the
channel would allow the backend to read the stream of data in to its memory.
The calculations could be done, and then written to datastore and memcache
so that when the client re-polled the scores would be correct and shared?