I'll try and dig up the distance one... It was a client doing it, not my
code I don't do much with GEO that way, we do a hex of the entire US in 5
mile chunks and put in you a list.

But the client was doing distance.

(if you are anywhere in hex 2345 that is your "Tier 1" hex, then we know
that 23445 borders hex's 91234, 92345,93456,etc, and we use geographic
features to remove neighbors that you can't navigate to directly... (like
you can't cross Lake Eerie by bridge, and if you are doing a 15 mile radius
and are 9 miles south of the San Mateo Bridge a guy 5 miles as the crow
flies across the SF bay is not a neighboring hex)

You can do < and > for sure, but it two "ANDs"