I use current latest SDK (version 1.7.0) and for accessing the datastore I use
JDO 3.0 and DataNucleus Plugin 2.0 (everything provided by the SDK, nothing
external).

According to the documentation, an owned relationship can be "dependent" but in
my case, the relationship is always dependent, meaning that child objects are
always deleted with parent object. I tried to use @Element(dependent =
"false"), but it had no effect.

The same problem applies to unowned relationships. They are always dependent.
There is a little difference though.

When removing an object from the collection by calling .remove( ), the object
is always deleted from the datastore for both owned and unowned relationship.
However when I call .clear() on the collection, for unowned relationships, the
objects are kept in the datastore. For owned relationships they are deleted.

I tried to deploy the application but the behavior is the same when running on
Google servers.

I posted this question on StackOverflow, but they just told me to read the
documentation. I also filed an issue for AppEngine in case it was really a bug,
but I don't think so, using relationships is a big thing, some would have
noticed. I guess I'm just doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.
Please I would appreciate any help.