I'm doing some experiments
on com.google.appengine.api.memcache.MemcacheServiceImpl

  private static <T> T quietGet(Future<T> future) {
    try {
//      return future.get();
      return future.get( 100, TimeUnit.MILLISECONDS);
    } catch (TimeoutException ex) {
//      throw new ExecutionException(createDeadlineException());
      logger.log(Level.WARNING, ex.getMessage() + " " + future );
      return null;
    }
    catch (InterruptedException e) {
      Thread.currentThread().interrupt();
      throw new MemcacheServiceException("Unexpected failure", e);
    } catch (ExecutionException e) {
      Throwable cause = e.getCause();
      if (cause instanceof RuntimeException) {
        throw (RuntimeException) cause;
      } else if (cause instanceof Error) {
        throw (Error) cause;
      } else {
        throw new UndeclaredThrowableException(cause);
      }
    }
  }

I'm not sure if it's working 100% yet, the web app seems to open faster,
but there are still errors.
I'm sure something can be improved around there....
I'm off next week, have fun