To be fair, it says *the free quota* will cover 1,000 searches per day. It
also says to contact them using this
form<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFFJUi1GUW1mVGpOQllJUjBUOUVJUUE6MQ>if
 you need more. It seems natural to me that usage beyond the free quota
costs money. Does your estimation of 100k queries include caching results
using memcache (thus avoiding calls to the search API)?