All depends on what you are doing.   I ended up denormalizing my data
model.  So I could retrieve my Images by a key or id.  I use another table
to link stuff together.

class ThumbStore(db.Model):
    thumbId=db.IntegerProperty()
    imageId=db.IntegerProperty()
    thumbnail=db.BlobProperty()
    filename=db.StringProperty() # just for ref in dataviewer

class StoryIdx(db.Model):
    storyId=db.IntegerProperty()
    thumbId=db.IntegerProperty()
    imageId=db.IntegerProperty()
    textId = db.IntegerProperty()

So instead  of querying the ThumbStore that will hit a dead line error.  I
search the StoryIdx table first to find the keys I need in the Thumb table.

see my site:

http://www.hikejournal.com