OK I just heard back from the team that runs this service.

1. If you change the file in Google Storage without changing the filename,
then you'll need to do a  deleteServingURl/createServingURL for the file.
Essentially when you createServingURL there is some work done to prepare
your images for serving, and you'll need this work done again.

2. Even after doing step (1) the old image might remain in caches for up to
24 hours, and continue to be served.

We'll need to update out documentation for this. It seems if you want the
image to be served immediately, you'll need it to have a new name.