To send mail use the Mail API - that is the only supported way to do it.

In Production - on appspot - the Mail API sends emails via Googles
infrastructure.

But the development environment is emulating the real environment. It of
course cant use Googles infrastructure, so instead you tell give it a SMTP
server it can use directly. The SMTP interface is not exposed to the actual
application (because it would be non functional online anyway)