I have seen this before and I believe it is due to the browser making
multiple parallel connections to the dev server. The dev server only
supports a single connection at once so some/many of these connections will
time out or just fail. It is worse if you have multiple browsers making
requests against the same dev server.

I have had OK results when accessing the dev server by IP rather than
localhost. To try this you need to start the dev server with the argument
--address 0.0.0.0 and then you can access it using the IP address of the
machine the dev server is running on. Hopefully that helps.

For docs on the dev server command line arguments see here:
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/tools/devserver#Command_Line_Arguments

- Bryce