Your file is specified in app.yaml as a static file; these files are not
accessible by the application; they're uploaded to a completely different
place from your application code, and are meant to only be served directly
to your users' browsers, not accessed in your code. dev_appserver blocks
access to them to mimic what you'd see on the production server.

If this file is not meant to ever be served directly to users, change
app.yaml so it's no longer static. If you need to both serve it to users
and access it in program code, you'll need 2 copies of it (or a symbolic
link to it, although I'm not sure how this works on Windows), one of which
is static and one of which isn't, probably in different directories.