Hi there,

Our (python) app uses a pull queue to send work to dynamic backend
instances. The backends sit in a tight loop polling for new work, 5 tasks
at a time. As long as tasks are coming through, the backends periodically
send 'keepalive' tasks to themselves via a push queue. Once the pull queue
is exhausted, the backends spin down since they go idle and no keepalive
tasks come through.

Up until yesterday, this system was working fine, with the caveat that
lease_tasks was throwing large numbers of TransientErrors, which we would
catch and ignore.

As of today, lease_tasks has started to fail silently - there are over 30k
tasks in the pull queue with ETAs in the past, yet lease_tasks
intermittently (but frequently) returns 0 results. It's happening often
enough that there are insufficient keepalive tasks, meaning the backends
die off even though there is tons of work to do.

Anyone else seeing this? Did something change in the taskqueue
implementation?

Thanks,
-Abhijit