Thanks for hint Ernesto, yes, that's exactly what we did,

The issue has proven link to Google Page Speed service, as Bob discovered.
When disabled in application console, the redirect works ok. When
re-enabled, it fails again.

The issue is **observed** on production application with PageSpeed, **VIP
SSL**, Google Apps domain authorization, Google Apps data set to store in
**EU** Data Centers only.

The issue is **not observed** on testing application with PageSpeed, **SNI
SSL**, Google Apps domain authorization, without EU data location
restriction.

So, the SSL settings may also play role, as johnP noted.

As a temporary workaround, we commented out *secure:always* for the site
entry url's in *app.yaml*, and decorated their handler methods with
https://gist.github.com/3974365.

There's also stack overflow question on this topic, if you have similar
issue, or look for solution.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13064081/how-to-get-major-appengine-issues-fixed