Have a look at the documentation:

http://golang.org/ref/spec#Source_file_organization

A way more power full way of combining source code files into a complete
program.

a choice of package clause and import declarations.

app.yaml stays alone to describe to GAE the purpose of the application.

main.go will need to have the appropriate import statement to reference the
code, functions held in the a.go file.