Expiration/expunging of memcache data is affected by a number of things.
 How much you have in memcache, frequency of hits, how much else is going
on in google land (ie in that machines you happen to be running on etc).

I have only 33MB in cache (1058 items) a 94% hit rate and the oldest item
is 17 hours.

There do seem to be some high water marks which when you start exceeding
them stuff will get expunged more quickly.