Two thoughts:

First, GAE's technology doesn't scale down to small projects, and its
support model doesn't scale up to large ones.  That spells trouble, to me.

Second, I suspect Google is running experiments on GAE.  By this I don't
just mean playing around with technology; I mean the specific
experimentation framework and process that they employ for internal
software components.  Yahoo did the same thing when I was there.  Basically
it means that rolling out a new implementation of something involves
rolling it out to 100 people, then 1000, then 10,000, then everyone.  If it
looks like things are going south you pull the plug.  That works for
products you own and manage because there are internal feedback mechanisms.
 When the products are owned and managed by 3rd parties, though, it sucks.
 Don't experiment with my platform, please.