We had a very similar problem (see my other post). It's resolved since two
days or so, after some quite bumpy weeks. Latency is down, and "spikyness"
of the dashboard charts is down too, everything runs a lot smoother since
yesterday.

 Maybe we're just lucky, but maybe also something has actually been
reconfigured and we're just the first who moved to new smarter settings,
and you'll follow soon.

Do you guys happen to use https by the way, and do you track latency
externally like with Pingdom or so?

Cheers,
Per