Hi Peter,

I currently have the "pending latency" slider set to 14.9 secs min and 15.0
> secs max. I have also set it to "auto"/"auto" per tips in other threads but
> can't tell a difference.

That's most likely your problem.  Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zQ5_47zy4bY#! from
25:45 onwards. You don't want to micro-manage the scheduler too much, or it
will get confused. The scheduler may not be great for low usage apps, but
it can do a lot better than what you're seeing. I'd recommend only having
one resident instance. We're using "1 - automatic" for instances and "auto
- auto" for pending latency. We have about 1-2 requests per second during
the week, but maybe only 0.2 on the weekend, so its close enough to what
you have.

Cheers,
Per