My deployment gets stuck in a "Checking if deployment succeeded." which
terminates with "Version still not ready to serve, aborting."

Running on appengine for python 2.7...

Another weird thing is that it shows no running instances for the actual
deployed version (1 - both frontend and backend) in the admin dashboard -
but when I switch to "All Versions" it shows one running instance that
appears to be stale - I can't shut it down ("The instance you attempted to
shut down does not exist.")

Does anyone experience the same problem? Any suggestions how to solve or
investigate?