We allow our customers to map their custom domains to our App Engine
application - meaning they control the Google Apps account, while we
control the App Engine application.

If they want to add an SSL cert to their custom domain, but they are not an
admin/owner of the App Engine application, how can this be achieved?

I think that the billing aspect of SSL requires that it is associated to
the App Engine application, and since billing is involved, only an App
Engine application owner can approve it.

Any thoughts on the least awkward way to achieve this?

Aside: it would be great if the Google Apps owner incurred the SSL costs
instead of us (the App Engine application owner), but I'm pretty sure this
is not possible.

Thanks for any advice,