That typically means your app returned a 500 error code to whatever was
fetching the document (it's not clear below whether you're running in a
browser or making an API call from an app or something else).

You should check the admin console for the deployed app and go to the logs
section.  Any query that returns a 500 should be tagged as an error, so if
you filter on that you should see the full log for the failed query.  A 500
is returned in numerous circumstances; one of the more common cases is a
null pointer exception in your Java code, just to give you an idea.  But
the log should tell you what happened in any case.

https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/adminconsole/index

- Kris