On Friday, March 1, 2013 11:25:17 PM UTC-5, Jamie Niemasik wrote:

> Some of the filenames are 288 bytes long, while some are 992. The M/R spec
> name and id in each case is nearly the same and is very short; I don't see
> where this variance comes from.

Have you noticed if the long file names contain the word 'writable' at the
beginning?

If so, it might similar to an issue that I had (my issue was with google
storage, not blobstore, but their APIs are similar):

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/app-engine-pipeline-api/vfWakN0NKSw

It seems that when a file is writable, its in a special state with a
filename that is very long. When the MR job finishes, it finalizes the file
and gets another filename that is shorter. My issue had to do with the MR
job not finishing properly. Some of my code was throwing exceptions but it
wasn't causing the job to finalize properly and therefore not getting the
shorter filename.

I would take a look at your logs to see if there are any errors. They may
be causing the MR job to not finish properly and then return unfinalized
filenames.

--Alex