I don't think Google will ever release a taken App ID into the wild.
And besides that, not only does your App ID have to be unique on AppEngine,
it also cannot be the name of a gmail account, for example.
The solution is to buy a normal domain and tie that to your app. At that
point, the App ID doesn't matter at all.