Be careful how you analyze the situation with your instances.  When I was
playing with resident instances, I assumed that they represented a "floor"
you wouldn't drop below in times of low traffic, but that's not quite what
they do.  Rather, they represent a pool of *deliberately idle* resources
that can absorb spikes.

When working according to Google's intent, resident instances will absorb
incoming traffic, but as soon as they become busy (with even one request)
dynamic instances will spin up to offset the loss of idle instances.  Since
this happens very close together, it's easy to assume that the dynamic
instance was spun up to handle a given request and that the resident
instance got nothing.  But in my particular case, what happened was that
the resident instance got the first request, concurrently with the warmup
for the dynamic request, and then all subsequent requests went to the
dynamic instance.

Once I understood what resident instances do, I realized they do not - by
design - solve the problem I wanted to solve, and I stopped using them
altogether.  I never actually produced evidence to demonstrate that traffic
was going to a cold instance when a resident instance was available. I
believe others when they say they have such evidence, but I also strongly
suspect that Google lumps all such claims into the same "not understanding
what resident instances are supposed to do" bucket and ignores them.

- Kris