sockets and SSL (including client side certificate support) were introduced
in the last release (1.7.7):
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/sockets/overview

this is separate to the URLFetch API, which I don't expect will be getting
client certificate support any time soon.

In python: urllib/urllib2/httplib all currently pass their requests through
the URLFetch API though, so for now you need to work around that by either
coding up the request yourself or re-uploading a normal copy of the python
httplib.py (as httplib_orig.py for example) and using that.

This situation should be improved in the future.

--Iain