Asterisk means match zero or more of the *preceding character*

*/.** means a forward-slash followed by *zero *or more characters.
This matches the root, and any other page off the root (e.g. it matches
both *my-site.appspot.com/* and *my-site.appspot.com/mypage*)

*/** means zero or more forward-slashes (which in reality only matches the
root, because multiple forward slashes don't make sense)

>From https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/config/appconfig
URL and file path patterns use POSIX extended regular expression
syntax<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression%23Syntax&usg=__mBDvPGMNbDvCnmh1oLFnVOCuNwI=>

In app.yaml, always enter URL matches in the order of most specific to most
generic, as GAE will run whichever script matches first.
Other commonly used URL matches are;
*/ *matches only the root URL (e.g. the home page, *my-site.appspot.com/*)
*/.+* matches a forward-slash followed by *one *or more characters. (e.g. *
my-site.appspot.com/mypage*)