Hi everyone,

With the recent release of App Engine 1.7.7, it is finally possible to make
outbound connections with TCP or UDP sockets. This opens a whole world of
new possibilities.

Using `import socket` in Python 2.5, I have been able to test successfully
a few simple low-level commands (such as
socket.getaddrinfo("smtp.gmail.com", 587)...)

I am now trying to initiate an authenticated SMTP connection on port 587:

    import smtplib
    session = smtplib.SMTP('smtp.gmail.com', 587)

... but I immediately encounter a `NotImplementedError` from the
gethostbyaddr function in _remote_socket.py. This is surprising, as the
non-implementation of this function is not mentioned in the Google App
Engine Sockets API Overview at
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/sockets/overview

Any idea what's going on here, and how I could circumvent this limitation?

Note : I have not yet migrated to Python 2.7. I am still using Python 2.5
and old_dev_appserver.py for the development server.

I have also posted this question on stackoverflow :
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16314777/experimental-sockets-api-in-google-app-engine-for-smtp-connections

Thank you.