Gooogle really never should have used the term 'resident' instances.

It leads to a lots of confusion, making many developers believe that these
would be the primary instances requests get routed to. But that's not how
GAE works. These are instances that should have been named something like
'scale-buffer' instances or similar and only take requests while GAE spins
up more dynamic instances.

This has been endlessly discussed and the only way forward is for GAE to
announce in one of their next updates that requests no longer get routed to
cold instances. Period, end of discussion and we'll all share our love for
GAE much more ;-)

Nobody here really understands what is taking them so long so make this
simple scheduler change, where the scheduler looks up a flag - instance up
- good, route there. Instance not up - don't route there. Instances getting
busy - start up more instances and let the scheduler wait addressing them
until they are up and running, accepting additional queue time in case all
instances are fully busy serving requests (which is way much better than to
wait for a full cold start).