On Monday, May 20, 2013 6:47:58 AM UTC-5, Tim van der Heijden wrote:

> What surprises me however is that when i sent an email from my google apps
> account (using gmail) to a hotmail address, the message does NOT end up in
> the spam folder. So apparently there is a difference between sending the
> mail from gmail and sending the mail from google app engine.

Mail sent from GAE always looks a little bit "off". For example, within the
email the sending domain is not listed as google.com; it is listed as *
some-long-random-stream-of-gibberish.ewindeIWJd2382ewkj323d2N.apphosting.bounces.google.com
*. The same string is repeated as the return path. It just doesn't look
professional - it looks downright spammy and a lot of filters will
/dev/null any email coming from GAE.

You're better off with Sendgrid, Postmark, etc. Sending mail is a much
harder problem than many people think it is; better to outsource it to
someone else. If you want a recommendation, I would recommend Sendgrid.

I will say that GAE seems to have zero problems sending to Gmail addresses.
I use GAE mail to send me status reports, errors, etc and I've never seen
those emails get dumped to the spam folder.

-Vinny P
Technology & Media Advisor
Chicago, IL
My Go side project: http://invalidmail.com/