The more I think about this, the more I think the fundamental problem is
the aggressive retry schedule on the task queue. This is really easy to fix
in your own app.

With the exception of the task queue, it seems like every GAE expense grows
proportionally with user traffic. However, one coding error can easily
cause the task queue to DOS your app with retries. For most tasks, if two
tries don't work then you might as well wait an hour before trying again -
chances are some third-party service is down or there may be a code issue
that requires developer intervention.

Maybe you catch the problem after a couple hours, so your bill is 4X what
it normally would be... but this is better than the two alternatives: 100X
bill, or your app going down due to quota exhaustion.

I'm going to change my retry schedule now, and I recommend everyone else do
the same.

Jeff